3.02.2008

RFL Inspired Stand Up Bot Base Phase I Complete

Putting the picAxe 18x plus motor drive (same one as in dogbot) would be the bees knees... Except for one thing... The power! Oh the power! I used a simple turn right, turn left kind of approach for the initial testing and with one motor, then the other running, each would dig-in to the carpet, not really run along it...

Let's dig into the software and see what we can do to make our bot civilized, using it's brains to direct it's brawn....

The wheels came in the mail, they just push right on to the twin motor gearbox... I've got things taped and wired together, just to be sure this whole idea will work...

We're off...


These are seeming to be disasters... I got the new wheels, they provide better traction, but now the upright bot has falling over issues when it jumps forward or backward...

I figured I'd have to readjust things a bit... Then I got myself a handful of these grounding straps... These things are easy to bend and that allows me to clean up the design by bending brackets for the "shoulder pads." Now the batteries transfer their weight to the wheels by virtue of angled brackets that attach to the screws that hold the motor-body together. This works well...

From RFL Inspired ...


Things are working very well now, some tweaks to the new front stabilizing suspension and the picAxe 18x does it's job. We now have motor control... Check out the Final Motor Control and RFL Football Inspired Upright Bot Base Video...

Phase II Next Up... How 'bout some "eyes", some IR so this guy can either home in on an opponent, or avoid said opponent bot... Maybe I'm going to have to work that big frame back into the bot design? Stay Tuned...

No comments: